The EU Blue Card Netherlands in 6 steps

Jul 12, 2022

What is the EU Blue Card ?

The EU Blue Card for the Netherlands is a work and residence permit for highly skilled non-EU employees. These high skills need to be proven with a diploma and a high salary to match it, coming in at € 5,867 per month (2023). On top of that, you need to have an employment contract for at least 12 months.

It’s fair to say the EU Blue Card is not for everyone. But it’s a boon for those who cannot obtain a visa otherwise, as the EU Blue Card does not require any special “IND sponsorship status” from the employer. This means it can be the only option for newly incorporated companies to employ the services of non-EU talent. In this article we explain how to get it in a few simple steps, and add some useful tips in the process.

Step 1 : Preparation

Your first step is outlining everything you need to obtain the EU Blue Card in the Netherlands. Here’s what you should be looking out for:

  • Your salary must be sufficiently high. That means a minimum of € 5,867 per month (2023). Unlike the HSM visa, the Blue Card has only one minimum that applies to all applicants.

  • Your employment contract is for a period of at least 12 months.

  • You have a Bsc equivalent higher education degree. Non-Dutch degrees need to be evaluated by the Dutch international education agency IDW at a small charge (€ 150).

  • The job description in your employment contract must match the skills you obtained via your diploma.

  • In the 5 years prior to the application, your employer may not have been fined for violating Article 2 of the Foreign Nationals Employment Act, or for failing to pay the necessary income tax, employee insurance premiums or national insurance contributions.

  • You may not pose a threat to public policy, security or health. Overstaying a previous visa does not count towards this criterium.

  • You need to perform “actual, substantial activities” under your employment. That means you cannot get away with bogus employment at a friend’s Dutch company, getting salary for doing nothing, and getting a Blue Card along the way.

  • As part of your Municipality registration later on, you need an original certified birth certificate from your home town.

Step 2: Line things up with the Dutch immigration authorities (IND)

You are well advised to prepare your file and make the required appointment with the IND before you immigrate to the Netherlands. We can take care of this process for you, and make sure your documents are all correct and in order. Make an appointment with us to get everything started before you move. This way we can file your application before you arrive.

We then file your application so that once you arrive you will immediately receive the EU Blue Card confirmation letter from the Immigration Services (IND) which you need for your BSN number.

Step 3 : Look into your MVV situation

Before you actually migrate to the Netherlands, you need to make sure you obtain a temporary residence permit (MVV) to secure your entrance to the Netherlands as part of your immigration. You need to fix this before you move. This is required for all non-EU nationalities, except for residents of the following countries:

  • Australia

  • Canada

  • Japan

  • Monaco

  • New Zealand

  • Vatican City

  • United States

  • South Korea

Step 4 : Migrate to the Netherlands

Once everything is in place, you can move to the Netherlands. At this point everything is lined up for a successful acquisition of your EU Blue Card, if you let us handle it of course.

Step 5 : Get your BSN Number
Once you arrive in the Netherlands, immediately make an appointment at your Municipality (“Gemeente”). Please take the following documents with you:

  • your valid passport.

  • your original certified birth certificate.

  • the EU Blue Card application confirmation letter you received via mail from the IND.

  • rental agreement or a statement of consent from the main resident at the address you’re going to stay at in the Netherlands.

Within a few days after this appointment the Municipality will issue you your BSN number.

Step 6 : Go to your appointment at the IND

We will make your appointment at the IND for you. Please show up here and bring your valid passport. At the meeting, your picture and fingerprints will be taken and you will be entered into the system. The IND will issue you your “verblijfssticker” (residence sticker) which entitles you to stay and work in the Netherlands while you are waiting for the final verdict on your EU Blue Card. In the mean time you will receive your IND invoice of EUR 320. Please settle that one as soon as you can.

Conclusion and family status

With a complete file you can expect the EU Blue Card verdict to land in 2 months. In the mean time you are free to live and work in the Netherlands as though you already have the EU Blue Card visa. As a (prospective) EU Blue Card holder you can bring your partner and children to the Netherlands. They are able to obtain a family member residence permit at the IND. If you are not married to your partner, you need to prove there is a durable relationship. The partner can (of course) be of the same gender as yourself. Both the partner and the children are free to work or study in whichever capacity they choose within the Netherlands. This is actually a broader work permit than the one granted to you, because the EU Blue Card requires you to stay employed at your current employer.